Sunday, September 03, 2006

Father's Day HG style

Japan celebrates Father's Day on the third Sunday of June, where as us folk in Oz celebrate it on the first Sunday of September.

Hard Gay (aka HG) is a Kansai comedian known for his crazy gyrating, pelvic thrusting antics, famous catch phrase "Foooo!" and black, pvc hot pants, studded vest, sunglasses and cap outfit.

I first saw HG on TV doing some variety show out front Himeji Castle. I remember laughing and thinking, "What the hell is this guy wearing? and doing?"

Then some of my boys in class would randomly yell out "Foooo!" and one boy even acted as HG during one of the shopping role plays we did (ie. he entered the classroom 'shop' with "Fooo!" and told the shopkeeper that he wanted to buy "black shorts, black no sleeve t-shirt, black glasses and black cap.") The other kids loved it and the other teacher and myself couldn't help but laugh.

HG is from the town Kakogawa. Lisa lives there and says her kids think HG is a hero. One of the teachers I teach with went to the same high school as HG in Kakogawa.

You can buy HG costumes and figurines from Tokyu Hands. Although I was a little startled to see that you could win plush Winnie the Pooh and Stitch (from Lilo and Stitch) toys dressed up as HG from the UFO catcher machines. Should have taken a photo!

This clip is one of my favourites (and there's English subtitles too). Classic.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFKpriH8s0g

Enjoy!

3 Comments:

At 11:25 am, Blogger Insensible said...

I'm pretty sure what he says is Hooo, not Fooo.

Mainly from his Yahoo skit where he went to there offices because, "they where using his catch phrase".

 
At 1:03 pm, Blogger Christine said...

nami - haha yes I so know the first one you're talking about ~ absolute riot! but haven't seen the last one. So random, yet so, so funny.

insensible - Yeah, some mates have said that too, but I'm just spelling it how my students did. Yes, they would write to me about HG and draw pictures! But hey, at least they were using English.

I know the subtitles have it with 'H' but reading the katakana it's 'Fu' with a little 'o', so it becomes 'Fo'. Also the Japanese pronunciation for 'Ho' is like in the word 'hot', where as perhaps non-Japanese would usually say it like the word 'hoe'. does that make sense? haha some teacher I am!

Yeah I've seen that Yahoo one too - classic!

 
At 3:11 am, Blogger Insensible said...

Actually you lost me on the "little o" comment.

My understanding (from what little Japanese I was taught) is that all the vowels don't change pronounciation, which is how I get what you meant by "hoe", and "fu". Is there an umlaut of some kind that I am missing?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home