Monday, March 06, 2006

The little gaijin that thought she could (again)

My gym outings have been slowly decreasing, so today Cheryl and I organised to go after school.

We hit the machines to do some training and even though my legs felt like jelly and my muscles were so sore, it was all good. That is, until we decided to do a final 30 minute workout on the Orbi-trek machine. We started off doing a really hard level but I kept on lowering mine every 5 minutes or so. But being a believer in “No pain, no gain” – I pushed myself to keep on going for the full 30 minutes.

I hadn’t worked out on the machines for about 2 weeks now and I didn’t really eat anything substantial beforehand. So soon enough I began feeling light-headed, dizzy and spacing out. Not to mention sweating like I was in the sauna. But I just had to make those 30 minutes so I kept on going. I think I can, I think I can.

With only 4 minutes left to go, my brain couldn’t take it anymore and I felt nauseous. I decided to put pride aside and save myself the embarrassment of yakking at the gym. I told Cheryl that I was going to stop and once she looked at me, she said I should just slowly walk around to warm down. So close - only 4 more minutes!

So I got off the machine and started to walk around. Or rather stumble around until I felt pain in my right knee and leg. When I came to, I realised I had walk right *smacked* into the bin. My eyes were out of focus and I could hear a male staff member ask if I was alright. Mortified, I quickly walked back towards Cheryl and sat down on the floor. What the hell just happened?

Cheryl rushed over to me and a female staff member came over to see if I was okay. Cheryl got me up, took me to the toilets and ran cold water over the back of my neck, wrists and ankles to lower my temperature. How she knew this and what to do? Well that’s a whole new story altogether. I felt much better after a soak in the bath and a visit to Mister Donuts. Thanks for looking after me Cheryl – again!! I owe you BIG time!

Moral of the story: As foreigners at your local gym, you will stand out (well I sort of blend if I keep my mouth shut). Therefore yakking at the gym and walking into bins will only make you stand out even more. *You Eeeiidiot!*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home