Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Home, sweet Japan, home

So after two flights and a transit in Singapore, I'm finally home.

I'm a big fan of Changi Airport and all it has to offer ~ hot milky horlicks, kaya toast, 2 terminals with lots of shops (duty free baby!), convenient sky rail, free internet (although the standing sucks), gym, pool, beauty salon, shower facilities, koi pond and orchid garden. This time round they also had Changi Youth Ambassadors (?) in red tops walking around the airport providing assistance. Big thanks to the dude who assisted me by dislodging my front trolley wheel from the sky rail gap (mind the gap). I did a little run-up push and hoped the momentum would allow me to fly over the gap but alas, I failed miserably and was too embarrassed to look at the guy as I said "Thank you."

On the bus ride back to Sanners I met Thomas, a Swiss guy in Japan for business meetings. He's the managing director for some company that builds power plants and had previously lived in Kobe for 3 years. We chatted about what us gaijins talk about best - our love/hate relationship with Japan (though mostly love). Was going to meet up with him and some colleagues for drinks later that week but I had tutoring on. Who knows when our paths may cross again?

On the bus ride from Kansai Airport to Sanners, the landscape always captivates. From the dense concrete, industrial jungle of Osaka to the green, rolling mountains of Rokko and the calm ocean on the opposite side. You will also spot some rather unusual buildings that don't seem to belong. Rising from the usual grey buildings is the bright and colourful Maishima Incineration Plant (Environmental Management Bureau) designed by Friedensreich Hundertwasser. As soon as I saw it I was reminded of a Hundertwasser painting I'd studied in art class, that and a My Little Pony castle nestled in the clouds with rainbow slides.

Another outstanding structure is the glassy, dome building which happens to be the Osaka Maritime Museum. So many places to visit, so little time.

The faint smell of tatami lingered in the air as I entered my apartment. It's surprising what you come to miss.

2 Comments:

At 7:20 pm, Blogger Sher said...

Hey Christine! I got here from your sis Karen's site! You mentioned Singapore, so I thought I'd say hi. Glad you like our airport. :)

 
At 2:48 pm, Blogger Christine said...

s.h.e.r - Hi there. Yes, I definately don't mind doing transit in Changi Airport at all. Lots of things to do and facilities to keep me satisfied.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home