Thursday, July 21, 2005

I'm a domestic goddess..

..or so I think.

Since I haven't posted up any recent food pics, here's what's been cooking in my kitchen.
Hmm Mmmm

Not only can I now multi-task my cleaning chores (cleaning the bathroom, toilet, vacuuming, sweeping, wiping down tatami mats, laundry, ironing) but I can now proudly say that I've managed to grow baby tomatoes. Yay for me!

In Spring I threw some old tomatoes into a pot and hey presto - now I have so many seedlings it looks like a suspicious crop farm on my balcony. However the intense summer has killed off a few.

Green Thumb Therapy
You know you've been domesticated when you make extra effort to remember to water your plants everyday. Just the feeling of getting dirt under my fingernails and the satisfaction of watching something grow and flourish under my care (I wonder if this is the same with kids) keeps me coming back and tending to my little garden. My mint and basil are still alive *touch wood* and I can't wait for enough tomatoes to make a salad.

Although I seem to be breeding flies in my soil..what the?!? Exactly! I haven't a clue why? Help! I have to keep watering my plants or they start drooping but I think the water is providing perfect festering moisture for the bugs. Eeeks!

3 Comments:

At 2:37 pm, Blogger Paul said...

They are probably gnats. Overwatering or poor drainage aids buildup I think. A friend had the same problem with her indoor plants. Here's a link with some control measures that you may find useful:

http://www.ehow.com/how_9360_control-fungus-gnats.html

Alternatively you can just get new sterile potting soil. That's what my friend did.

 
At 9:23 pm, Blogger Loreen said...

Basil, my basil plant died =( ...its back to dried shaker thingis for me...

 
At 1:28 pm, Blogger Christine said...

Thanks Paul but yeah I'm still a slack hardcore wannabe domestic goddess so I'll probably just throw it out and some new stuff.

Loreen! haha never fear! I went through 3 basil seedlings before I found this one that hasn't died on me yet...Yet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home