Saturday, June 25, 2005

Van Gogh & Suma Beach

Since I missed the "Van Gogh - In Context" exhibition in Tokyo (damn those long lines *shakes fist in the air*) I promised myself to see it when it came to Osaka. The exhibition is a collection from the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam and the Kroller-muller Museum in Otterlo. It also featured work by Gauguin, Monet and some others.

It was so good.
Although since I am in Japan, long lines and crowds are a prerequisite for any event. It was ridiculously packed that you couldn't really enjoy it without being shoved or pushed by some obasan. Trust me, little old ladies are the worst. Even more lethal when they're on bicycles!

But I was very satisfied to be able to see some of the works I had studied in art - 'The Potato Eaters', 'The Cafe Terrace on the Place du Forum', 'Irises', 'The Courtesan' and others that I can't remember the names of.

I was in awe. Van Gogh is my favourite. I remember in class having to paint a self portrait in the same style of a particular artist we studied and ofcourse I tried to paint with Van Gogh's texture and shading but alas, to put it plainly, mine was crap.

Afterwards I headed to Suma Beach to meet up with Chris, Jeff & Lisa and also Sam had told me it was Leigh's birthday. I got there quite late and we just hung around playing frisbee. It was so hot and Suma Beach ain't the prettiest beach ever to be seen. To put it plainly, it was crap.

The sand isn't like back home. It's more rough and is a mixutre of broken pieces of sharp shell and rocks and rubbish. I didn't even want to go in the water. It smelt funky from a mile away. I can't believe people were swimming in it.

Apparently Jeff went in AND put his head under! eeeks! That water could easily have borne flesh eating viruses.

Then we headed back to my place to wash up and went to Porto Bazar for dinner. We went to Gaylord Indian Restuarant (there's one in Sanners too) and had a feast! Chris headed back home and Lisa, Jeff and I went to Polo Dog for some drinks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home