Monday, April 25, 2005

Train crash

A train heading to Amagasaki derailed and crashed into an apartment building this morning, the worst Japan has seen in the last four decades.

The 1st and 2nd carriages were wrapped around the building with the 2nd carriage crushing the 1st carriage, leaving over 100 dead and over 450 injured.

I didn't know about any of this until a friend told me and I saw the horrific images of twisted metal and casualties on the news. The video footage was unbelievable.

Thanks for all the emails and messages guys. Although in Hyogo, fortunately I'm about half an hour from the area and I was at school at the time and thank God people I know that live in that area were all okay. Unfortunately I continue to hear really sad stories.

My mate's teacher knew someone who died in the crash, another friend's students live that in apartment building but live on the higher floors, students who were on their way to Universal Studio Japan (think Disneyland/Movie World) for their school excursion were on that train - some are still missing, the daughter of a lady another Perth JET teaches was killed in the crash - her body was found crushed between the 1st and 2nd carriages.

The site of the accident is now covered in hundreds of flowers and thousands of origami paper cranes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home