Friday, December 16, 2005

Movies

Sayuri (as it is called in Japan) otherwise known as Memoirs of a Geisha came out on Saturday.


I already had my advance tickets a week ago and on Sunday, after a whole day of walking around and shopping, Sue Yen and I headed into Sanners to watch it.

I prefer the poster that is being used in other countries than Japan. She looks stunning. It reminds me of Shi - now that's a comic they should make into a movie!



The cinematography, costumes, set design, music and all that were beautiful, a feast for the senses to get lost in. I enjoyed the book and wanted to love the movie and have it as my all time favourite, but it didn't quite do it for me.

Ofcourse things were changed from the book in order to wrap things up into a nice movie length timeframe and the story seemed rushed at times. And what about Chinese actresses making up the main cast? Well at first I didn't see why it was made into such a big hoo-ha in the media. I think that if the actresses did a good job, then good on them.

Don't get me wrong, I think those actresses are absolutely gorgeous, talented and great in their previous movies, but after watching the movie I think the movie should have been done entirely in Japanese and they should have used Japanese actresses, unless they could properly train the actors to speak Japanese fluently.

The different accents of English from the different actors was just too distracting. They even used some Japanese words in the movie (like ane-san, oka-san, arigatou, sayonara, konichiwa...etc) mixed in with their English, so that's why I think they should have just done it all in Japanese.

Also I'm sure purists would find flaws in the choice of colours of the kimonos worn, makeup, performances and other minor details. But who ever let facts get in the way of a good movie eh?

I'm also excited about the release of the moive, Aeon Flux.



Why did it take so long for it to be made into a moive? I've been a fan of the animation since I remember watching it on Liquid Televions on SBS and thought the concept of the series was just so interesting, strange yet captivating.

Yes, Charlize Theron is hot as and a great actress too, but I always though the role would be better suited to the equally hot Angelina Jolie. But I'll make up my mind when I see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home